the spirit of #fitbloggin

by MrsFatass on May 30, 2011

You may have noticed that for the last week in our corner of the blogosphere there has been a lot of Fitbloggin talk. Recaps and photos and HOLY COW a lot of Zumba talk and I for one have really enjoyed reading it all. I love how everyone seems to leave that conference with a lot of energy and motivation and also with a slew of great new friends, everyone ready to go out and kick some tail.

Somewhere along the way, however, the fanfare starts to die down as we all get back to real life. And that is what I was thinking about when I tweeted with Alan (who writes at Sweating Until Happy and who is @Sweating_it_Off on Twitter) about getting together to do a 5K. We’d casually tweeted about doing something fitness-y after Fitbloggin since we only live about an hour away from one another, but I wanted to make sure we really connected and made it happen. (Cheese Alert) I really wanted to make sure that the spirit of Fitbloggin didn’t fade once I got home and started living my life again.

So, lo and behold, we found an event. It’s a little short notice – too short to register as an official team even – but we’re doing it, and we’re inviting all of you to do it with us!

Susan G. Komen Race 2011 Triangle Race for the Cure
Saturday, June 11, 2011
Meredith College, Raleigh NC

Already our team is bigger than just Alan and I! Join us that day and meet Nourishing Circle, A Girl Who Loves Cupcakes, and Trophy Husband just to name a few. A bunch of us are walking the 5K, but I think we have some runners in the group too.  Seriously, I hope if you’re anywhere near Raleigh you’ll join us. You can register through June 9th. And if you do, let me know so I can keep you in the loop about our meetup!

And . . . how about this? Even if  you’re not in the Raleigh area on June 11, join us anyway. Do your own fitness-y event. Do a run or a walk – ‘official’ or in your own neighborhood or on a treadmill or whatever. Or take a new class, try a new machine, do your favorite video. Just grab a partner and DO something, and do it in the name of commitment, and support, and teamwork – all things that come home with you when you go somewhere (like Fitbloggin) and get all fired up about the things you are capable of accomplishing.

Being that that sentence is really too long to put on a tee shirt, we’ll have to come up with something else. Maybe MizFit would welcome us to use her awesome new hashtag #FitAfterFitbloggin? If you didn’t catch her rhyme yesterday, it’s a must-see.

So. Will you join us? Will you actually come to our meetup, or will you participate virtual-style?

Christie {Nourishing Circle} May 30, 2011 at 7:14 am

So very excited about this. Had a convo in the car with the husband about it. He is a runner and has been couch-assing the past couple of months and I told him he could walk instead. Last night, he went out and ran three miles – couch-assing be damned.

Laurie May 30, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Christie-
How far are you from Raleigh? Because I am 2 hours from you.

A Girl Who Loves Cupcakes May 30, 2011 at 8:19 am

I’m so excited to meet y’all and walk together! I better get practicing this will be my first 5k! We have walked farther than that but never actually entered an event. I’m so excited !

Denise @ Do you have that in my size??? May 30, 2011 at 8:47 am

I’m signed up to do the Phillip Rivers 5K here in San Diego that same day – how fun!

Kerri O May 30, 2011 at 9:54 am

Love this. June 11th, got it!

colormeroo May 30, 2011 at 10:49 am

I’ll join virtually. Im doing a 5k that day locally. #fitafterfitbloggin WOOT!

Kyra May 30, 2011 at 11:07 am

This is so great you’re getting together and doing this. @damanlovett is doing this race too! Have fun!

Greta May 30, 2011 at 12:25 pm

I’ll be playing 90 min of soccer!! Will be thinking of you guys!! Wish I could run along side you!

Andrea Kruse (@notimeMom) May 30, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Great idea! Yes, it is one thing to get all jazzed up, but sad once it starts to fade. Kudo to you for really doing something. Keep it up. I will walk with you in spirit. 🙂

Brittany May 30, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Damn i wish i had a plane, so i could do it with ya’ll on the 11th! sadness. Virtual 5k it is 🙂

Kelly May 30, 2011 at 8:14 pm

I’m doing the Warrior Dash in PA that day- even though I couldn’t make it to fitbloggin, can I be an honorary carrier of the spirit?

Megan @mnmspecial May 30, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Have fun pulling your unofficial team together. I would love to join, but someone might be delivering a baby, lol. Apparently I don’t know when to slow down (or so my husband keeps sayin)

Let your fitbloggin live on! WooHoo!!!

Laurie May 30, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Definitely virtual, if not there, but I think it’s too far.
Like a dumb ass, I mean fit chic I signed up for Steve’s challenge…check that sucker out and know that I will be running somewhere that day.

kia May 31, 2011 at 12:12 am

So go ahead and laugh. I am actually putting together “summer camps” for me and a bunch of IRL friends to altitude train ahead of the Warrior Dash in Colorado (20 Aug) that will be at 8600’+ I wanted to get past a 10K today but our tentative first summer camp is the weekend all you SEXXY people are out for the cure in NC.

Patty May 31, 2011 at 12:19 pm

How exciting! Love it! I may just have to go out for a run on this day before my Godson’s bday party so I can join in! 🙂

@PamelaMKramer - A Renaissance Woman May 31, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Just so happens I’m running a 10K on June 11th. It’s the Run By The Bay Race. Whoo Hoo!!!

Judy May 31, 2011 at 11:25 pm

What a great idea! I just moved from the east coast so won’t make it but I hope you have a great time and raise lots of awareness!

kat March 10, 2013 at 12:05 pm

The best way to get the exercise regime back again is to join a race, and especially with someone else. There is no way to wangle out of it then!