old bikini, new promise

by MrsFatass on May 24, 2011

A while back I wrote a little diddy called The Bikini Promise. Long story short-ish, I was thinking about how I’d always wanted to wear a bikini, but never thought my body was ‘ready.’ But being that I’d written this letter to myself promising that I’d do it (and then showed that letter to all of you), last summer was the summer of the Two Piece Bathing Suit.

We live in North Carolina, so we spend the whole summer (and part of the Spring and Fall) hot and sweaty and near some body of water.

Our gym has an outdoor swimming pool. That will become my ‘office’ this summer.
Beach

We also spend lots of time at the ocean beach.

Though, if an ocean isn’t readily available, we go to the Lake “Beach”

So, geographically speaking, the chances were good I’d be in a bathing suit for at least part of the day most days between April and September. But not only did I need to don the suit, I needed to exude some confidence. Because my kids were watching me. And it’s important that I’m modeling comfort in my skinsuit. So, not only did I pull out bikinis, I pulled out hats and sunglasses and platform sandals and lipstick. I’m thinking that Thing Two has been watching me. . .

Is that a movie star? Or is that my daughter?

So, hopefully it’s working.

I started out my two-piece career in this photo, an ‘after’ photo for a weight loss challenge I did a couple years ago.

After

Now, the before shot. See the difference?

Before

It’s not really the body, is it? Maybe there’s an inch or two missing here or there. But really, it’s in the smile. The attitude. It is also roughly the same time that I started using the word HOTASS, not just in reference to other people, but to myself.

Lots of photos were taken throughout Bikini Summer, many of the “just get me from the chest up!” variety.

Say Cheese!

And a few in the “Self-Portrait” category.

No bottle of Bud Light was harmed in the taking of this picture.

And an occasional full-body shot made it into the lineup.

Sunglasses in the pool are WAY cool.

There were times when I really felt like I was rocking it, and some when I hid behind the sunglasses and lipstick. But either way, I kept the promise I made. I didn’t wait for all the circumstances to fall into perfect place before I stepping into my discomfort zone and pushing my own boundary. That ‘perfect’ bikini body isn’t something I had to ‘get’ before I put one on. Turns out I had the bikini body all along.

So, here we are. A brand new year and a brand new promise.

Old Bikini, but new Bikini Promise

This is the summer that I become a Zumba instructor.

I won’t laugh when I say it.

I won’t compare my body to those who have made whole careers around fitness or dance.

I will believe I can do it and be as good as anyone else.

I will make the people in my classes believe they can do it, too. I promise.

What’s your Bikini Promise for this summer?

Meegan (redstar5) May 24, 2011 at 7:22 am

Oh how I love this post! This past year was my first bikini promise to myself, and you’re 100% right on the money that the difference really is in the attitude and how you believe in yourself. Your belief in who you are radiates off this blog page (and from what I hear from the #fitbloggin peeps – all over you in person too).

Thanks for dropping by my blog yesterday, I rescued your comment from my spam and I really appreciate your words of wisdom!

Keep on rockin’ that hotass in those hot bikinis!

mrsfatass May 24, 2011 at 8:53 am

Thank you Meegan, for both the kind comment AND the spam rescue. I wonder how many times I’ve had a comment DO that.

What’s YOUR promise?

Donna May 24, 2011 at 7:56 am

I love it, Sue! You go, hotass.

mrsfatass May 24, 2011 at 8:55 am

Thanks, Donna. You always have my back.
Have you thought more about getting back to teaching yourself?

Jennifer@ knackfornutrition May 24, 2011 at 8:42 am

I’m borrowing one of your promises. I promise to not question how my body looks compared to the other personal trainers at the gym. I get so self-conscious around a bunch of hard-bodies I often neglect to remember how far I have come!

You look great!

mrsfatass May 24, 2011 at 8:55 am

We can TOTALLY have the same promise. I’ll bet it’s gonna be a popular one.

Miz May 24, 2011 at 8:51 am

I love the Promise so much I’m reading from the smart phone. I’m promiseless right now. Not in a good way. I need to spend this week deciding a nd committing.

mrsfatass May 24, 2011 at 8:55 am

I”ll hold you to it. #accountabilitypartner

A Girl Who Loves Cupcakes May 24, 2011 at 9:13 am

Can I just say that you can rock a bikini, girl??? Seriously! And, if you are becoming a Zumba instructor you must tell me where, I’d gladly come and take your class. I’m a reformed Zumba hater. 🙂

mrsfatass May 24, 2011 at 9:15 am

Girl I will SO let you know. And, I want YOU to come to Fitbloggin next year. I think you’d fall in love like 50 times a day, each time you met one of these blogpeople. I thought about you a couple times throughout the weekend.

A Girl Who Loves Cupcakes May 24, 2011 at 2:34 pm

I really want to go to fitbloggin next year! I wish I had gone this year, i’m jealous!

mrsfatass May 24, 2011 at 2:39 pm

I said after your last comment that I thought about you a bunch of times. No excuses. Next year you are THERE.

Amanda May 24, 2011 at 9:18 am

I love this! You sure rocked it! That alone is something to be proud of. My ‘kini promise is to wear it, rock it and LOVE it. I haven’t worn a bikini in 5years. Comfortably, ever. Now that I’ve learned to love my body, it’s time I learn to love other things my body can do and wear. Yikes! I’m skeered!!

mrsfatass May 24, 2011 at 9:22 am

Tequila helps with the nerves the first time.

Bella May 24, 2011 at 9:21 am

I love your confidence and the fact that you’ll be teaching Zumba! way to live your best life!

mrsfatass May 24, 2011 at 9:23 am

Thank you Bella! What about you? Do you have a promise to make to yourself?

@LastMinuteMandy May 24, 2011 at 9:34 am

I SO want you to be my zumba instructor! How amazing would that be! (Not that I’ve ever done zumba…but whatever…)

Okay, I promise to believe in myself. That I am awesome. That I don’t need to prove such to anyone but myself. That when I am flailing and not seeing said awesomeness, I will come back to the well. (That well, partly being my fellow bloggers who get me oh so very pumped up!) Huzzah!

mrsfatass May 24, 2011 at 10:06 am

Huzzah indeed! You are awesome and you don’t have to prove it. Just BE it.

Laurie May 24, 2011 at 10:04 am

Could you get any more freakin’ awesome?
I so agree that the attitude totally changed between the before and after.
Let me know if my site is back to normal, or as normal as things get in my world…thanks.

mrsfatass May 24, 2011 at 10:06 am

Oh, maybe I could get more awesome. It’s still early. I’ll keep you posted.

Grace @ Healthy Dreaming May 24, 2011 at 11:01 am

Love this post! I live in Florida so being in a bathing suit is a yearlong requirement. I love how confident everyone here is regardless of the size.

MY bikini promise is similar to yours
– be positive and love my body in its entirety
– buy MORE bikinis and not just stick to a basic black

🙂 Have a great day! You are amazing!

mrsfatass May 24, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Wait a minute, I’m not supposed to have 57 two-pieces all in black? EEEK!

Christie {Nourishing Circle} May 24, 2011 at 11:19 am

OK, first, how am I just learning that you live in NC? I live in VA but am originally from NC.

Anyway, I haven’t gone bathing suit shopping this year yet but have been spending a lot of time looking at myself and accepting myself and had the thought a few weeks ago that I may try a bikini this year – and this is something I have never done – even when I was 104lbs soaking wet. I think you are 100% correct, it is about the attitude and not the body.

Yay body love!

mrsfatass May 24, 2011 at 2:42 pm

I am in NC! We’ll have to talk about our locations offline sometime.

And I tell you, Atheta makes some amazing bikinis. All shapes and sizes! You gonna give it a try?

katieRUNSthis May 24, 2011 at 11:58 am

I adore this post. And look at you strutting around with all that confidence! I think you look adorable in your hat and big sunglasses. Its true about the attitude though…it can make all the difference in how you FEEL in an outfit and also how others perceive you. If you walk with confidence, head up, and shoulders back, you’ll always look better! Good for you for committing to become a Zumba instructor and to stop comparing your body to others! You gotta rock what you were given and you are doing great at it! Keep it up!

mrsfatass May 24, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Thank you! I, uh, didn’t read anything about YOU making a promise to yourself . . . you got one?

Steve May 24, 2011 at 12:01 pm

*sigh* If only I didn’t like the Golden Girls. You are smokin’!

mrsfatass May 24, 2011 at 2:40 pm

So, I’m hot, but not as hot as Natalie Portman?

Tonyne @ Unlikely Success Story May 24, 2011 at 2:25 pm

You.are.amazing. And wicked hawt. Just sayin’. I still owe you a drink sometime! When you coming down South?

mrsfatass May 24, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Oh boy, soon I hope. You think I could just shoot down sometime when the kids are asleep?

Linda @TalkTherapyBiz May 24, 2011 at 2:37 pm

You’re gorgeous…and you rock the bkini body and attitude:). I was joking on an earlier post this morning re: swimsuit season: this is a reminder to all the men and women out there who compare themselves to swimsuit models: those girls (and the guy models, too) are like, 12 y/o!

My bikini promise…hmmm, not to stress over the post-childbirth abs (even if it has been nearly 10 years). There are people out there with real problems, so no need to sweat the superficial.

I bet you’ll be the best Zumba instructor around!

mrsfatass May 24, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Whenever I want to start being mopey about my post baby abs, I remind myself there are starving people in Africa.

I realize there are starving people everywhere, I realize. But I guess it’s a mom thing.

Quix May 24, 2011 at 4:01 pm

My promise is to get stronger this summer. Not to define my abs. Not to look better. But to get across the freaking monkey bars and do pull ups.

As for a bikini? I’ll stick with my speedos. I just feel a little more comfy there and they’re more my style…. Maybe next year!

mrsfatass May 24, 2011 at 5:34 pm

LOVE your promise! A great mix of strength and play. Yay you!

Katie J May 24, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Is thinking my challenge will be to wear a suit in public and at the beach. No kini’s for moi!

mrsfatass May 25, 2011 at 6:07 am

You can do it KatieJ!

Sean @ Learn Fitness May 24, 2011 at 6:23 pm

For me wearing a bathing suit without a shirt has been an impossibility for my entire life, like no kidding. Being heavy meant being embarrassed to be seen at a pool let along without a shirt on. I’ve never had the confidence to try it unless the place was 95% empty and the average age was above 40 in the surrounding 100 ft of where I was swimming.

My bikini or banana hammock (I won’t wear a bikini) promise is to actually have the confidence to just be myself and not care what people might say and just go without a shirt at the pool or beach. Let me also say that this is the first year ever that we’re buying a pool pass to a local pool so I’ll be there a fair amount so I have to make it happen and make it happen often.

mrsfatass May 25, 2011 at 6:09 am

Okay, first of all, no fair making me laugh in the middle of a really beautiful, honest comment.

Second of all, this is the summer, Sean. I’m holding you to it. And when you do, I hope you write about it.

Now. Are you going to wear a banana hammock?

merri May 24, 2011 at 6:43 pm

What a cute pic of your daughter!! And good pics of u too 🙂 I am super jealous at all that heat, & working by the pool/beach/lake. The only times I can wear my bathing suit is basically if I go away on vacation, its too cold here in SF! Esp in the summer! Yay ive got zumba today after work (as a student, not a teacher but still fun).

mrsfatass May 25, 2011 at 6:10 am

I think I live in the best place in the whole world. A pool a few blocks away, and a lake a couple hours one way and an ocean a couple hours the other. And it gets HOT. Yay.

Love that you have Zumba! How did I not know you liked to do that?

Erin May 24, 2011 at 7:26 pm

You are so inspiring – Seriously! I have been dreading this weekend knowing that I have to pull out the bathing suit that has been hiding during the Minnesota Winter (for reference it was a LONG one). Rock on Sista, and you look Fab!

mrsfatass May 25, 2011 at 6:10 am

YOU rock on sista! You can DO this too!

Brittany May 25, 2011 at 12:28 am

YOu are fucking amazing! I don’t know how else to say this! Straight up, yo. Still working on my promises. Loving myself everyday 🙂 or attempting to, at least!

mrsfatass May 25, 2011 at 6:11 am

That’s a toughie, I know. But I’ve met you in person now. I know you a tee tiny bit. And even that was enough to know you can DO that!

chris May 25, 2011 at 11:29 am

Hey sue, great post.

mrsfatass May 25, 2011 at 11:53 am

Thanks, Chris.

jen (jeninRL) May 25, 2011 at 11:43 am

I LOVE this post,….almost as much as I love your bikini….almost as much as I LOVE you!!!

I am working on my promises but here is what I have so far

I promise to train the way I SHOULD train.
I promise to remember I am freaking awesome!!
I promise to wear a bathing suit and stand proudly (not pulling at it and worrying that everyone is looking at me funny).
I promise to wear dresses and skirts more often – I stand taller when I am dressed cute.
I promise to put my whole heart into the things I LOVE (my work, my body, my family) and not take them all for granted.

LOVE you and your hotass!!

mrsfatass May 25, 2011 at 11:53 am

Awesome. Just awesome. I love you, JenInRealLife. I just do.

Kerri O May 25, 2011 at 2:53 pm

I know you will do all of that and more. So. Cool. While I’m not ready for a bikini promise…I’ll make a sundress promise. This is the summer I will wear sun dresses. Because hubby has a thing for them 😉

Rachel LaCross- Cutler May 25, 2011 at 9:37 pm

One of the things I love about the first pic with the pink bikini is that you have a suit that shows off the fabulous bazoombas. Mrs. Hotass you have yamajama bazoombas. You need a suit that shows the puppies off 😀