next time he wears the coin skirt …

by MrsFatass on May 23, 2011

MrsFatass and LearnFitness

Okey-dokey-artichokies, the following days in the blogosphere will contain lots of FITBLOGGIN. And? The same holds true here. But instead of writing a recap today, I invited my new friend Sean of LearnFitness (@LearnFitness on Twitter and Learn Fitness on Facebook) to write about his experience. Not only was it his first Fitbloggin, you may notice by my words that Sean? Is a dude. And it was so awesome to have lots more of those attending this year. Sean has been blogging since the late nineties, he’s got a beautiful wife and two (now fully potty trained) children, is a tech geek, and HAS LOST 198 POUNDS.

Without further adieu . . .

ZUMBAloggin’

My biggest personal goal for my first Fitbloggin was to actively participate in all events and sessions and meet as many people as possible. I wanted to make the most of my time in Baltimore both mentally and physically. I wasn’t going to Fitbloggin to build my brand or schmooze a sponsor, I was there to meet my community of dysfunctional yet honest bloggers I’d grown to love and become a part of.

When I was preparing for the conference I noticed that  on the first full day of the conference a ZUMBA session scheduled. Now I know what you’re thinking, MrsFatass loves her some ZUMBA. But I was a ZUMBA virgin who wasn’t quite as enraptured with the whole idea of shaking my male change maker in front of a room of beautiful women (you all know you are).

So needless to say I was on the fence about this session and figured I’d play it safe and see how I felt after the 5k that morning. But, in steps the amazing Roni and her email o fear. It seems that ZUMBA is quite popular with the ladies, who’d a thunk, and that space was limited. Well, she certainly put the unintentional fear of Zuma into me and forced my hand to decide. Was I gonna step up and get jiggy or get cold feet?

Before I answer let me tell folks that don’t know me, I’ve never taken an aerobics class, as in like never ever taken a class. Spin class I can handle … *high five the spinning MrsFatass* … but the last time I’d danced to more than a 4-5 minute slow song at a holiday party was my wedding 8 years ago.

But I came to this conference to really live it, not let it pass me by. I wasn’t gonna let a little video game sounding dance movement get the best of me so I signed right up!

Leading up to the actual ZUMBA session I was seriously having my doubts, I won’t lie. But you know what happened? My Fitbloggin peeps happened. Every single person who I talked to about ZUMBA, whether they’d never met me or have been reading me for years, either high-fived me, congratulated me, or gave me some other support for giving it a go.

I can’t put into words (very well) how that felt but the fact that these people not only thought it was cool that a guy was doing ZUMBA but were frigging excited about it. Tell me another conference where you’d get that kinda support?

Anyhow, can you imagine what I was thinking when I walked in the room? Where can I hide? Where’s the best place to ZUMB’it without EMBARASSING’it … the back of that room was looking awfully safe.

But you know what, MrsFatass was having none of that. Front and center was all she’d accept … did I mention yet how awesome MrsFatass is? No, well let me toss a tangent in here for a second.

You see, I’d never met Sue until this conference … as in never ever emailed, never ever been phone screened, never ever SMS’d or DM’d … we’d only exchanged 140 character snippets. But she and I hit it off right away and an awesome new friendship developed. Turns out we both attended University of Michigan (Go Blue) at the same time but never met, she used to live in Chicago (where I now live), and she speaks her mind in a truly unapologetic honest and down to earth way (what I’ve always strived to do).

Back from the tangent now, the artist known as 265 and falling, Blog of Steve, Running on Awesome and I were at the front of the ZUMBA crew “representing” with The Mrs (can I call her that?). And in steps the ZUMBA MACHINE, aka our instructor.

Now I call her this in the most amazingly supportive way, seriously I do. She was fit, tone, and scared the bejeezus out of me. When we got going, within the first 30 seconds I thought I’d made a mistake … no, at that moment in time I was certain I had.

I can’t shake like that. Guys don’t shake or jiggle or pump like that. So you know what I did? No, I didn’t wimp out, I didn’t exit stage left. I instead stepped up and ZUMBA’d it.

Mind you I was still 2 left feet, missing moves, going the wrong way and all kinds of fail but I didn’t care … you know what, no one cared. We were all in it together, every laughing, panting, tripping, sweating, and jiggling second of it … we were just doing it the best we could and smiling the whole way.

FitBloggin Day 2 Final-67

Seriously, I can’t wait until Charlie posts her video, we were a room of smiling people who were butchering some ZUMBA moves but loving it the whole time. Well some people nailed it, ya all know who you are *cough MrsFatass cough* … the rest of us not so much.

It was only later in the conference after talking to people about ZUMBA that I learned about how broad the class offering was for ZUMBA and how inclusive it was designed to be. It’s not about doing the moves perfectly or never missing a beat, it’s about having fun, smiling, supporting each other, and just moving it to get fit and healthy.

To me that ZUMBA session is the perfect corny metaphor for this past weekend.

None of us have the same style or approach to blogging, none of us write perfectly, and none of us are 100% consistent.

We all try to have fun on our blogging journeys despite the mistakes and road bumps we might encounter.

We try to smile and joke when possible, we support each other when we’re down, we high-five when we’re up, we try to keep it real and honest, and most of all we all try to keep it moving forward improving ourselves better one experience at a time.

ZUMBA to me was not just a great success, it was an experience that exemplified what the Fitbloggin experience is all about, the people.

ASIDE: I’ll be honest, I didn’t start this post with that ending in mind. MrsFatass’s shoes are hard to fill but I do know this, I enjoyed ZUMBA and even more than that I enjoyed Fitbloggin. I’ve gained so much from the support and friendships that Fitbloggin helped foster and look forward to the coming months and years of blogging and at seeing how this community evolves.

Laurie May 23, 2011 at 6:47 am

I had the privilege of being the Zumba behind Sean, I mean literally BEHIND Sean and his Zumba-ing behind. He was awesome!!! Rock it Sean.

Sean @ Learn Fitness May 23, 2011 at 10:47 am

I apologize now for stepping on any extremities or if I scared you in any way 😉 I was Mr 2 Left Feet but loving it.

mrsfatass May 23, 2011 at 10:58 am

Hey Laurie, does he have a nice butt?

Steve May 23, 2011 at 7:21 am

Great recap of an otherwise horrifying (i mean…uh…AWESOME!) experience! 🙂 I seriously thought I was going there to humiliate myself too, but everyone was just having fun, which made it great!

Love the name strikethroughs too, that cracked me up 🙂

Sean @ Learn Fitness May 23, 2011 at 10:49 am

It was originally gonna be the artist formally known as 265 and falling but with your new name it just worked. You, Alan, and I really represented well I think, way to shake it!

mrsfatass May 23, 2011 at 10:56 am

And I am laughing at the new addition to my vocabulary: shaking one’s CHANGE maker.

mrsfatass May 23, 2011 at 11:01 am

Hilarious comments for many reasons. I love my Fitbloggin boys!

Greta May 23, 2011 at 7:23 am

WOOP!!! Sean, that is the coolest!! It was really nice to meet you at #Fitbloggin!!!

You too, Ms. Fatass

Sean @ Learn Fitness May 23, 2011 at 10:50 am

It was nice meeting you as well. Everyone was so friendly and open at Fitbloggin which made it amazingly comfortable.

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) May 23, 2011 at 7:25 am

I have never zumba’d. But I’m tempted to give it a whirl even though I have 2 left feet and I dance like Elaine from Sienfeld. And I’m totally not exaggerating.

Sean @ Learn Fitness May 23, 2011 at 10:54 am

I’m the same way, Mr 2 Left Feet, and I was a ZUMBA virgin to boot until this class. I’d definitely do another class if I can find one at my gym.

mrsfatass May 23, 2011 at 10:55 am

Yeah, you DO realize I have this in writing now, right? SO holding you to it.

Steve May 23, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Ruh roh… 😉

mrsfatass May 23, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Elaine and I have the same last name. Well, my maiden name is. Which isn’t totally directly related to your comment, I realize. But still.

Carrie@FamilyFitnessFood.com May 23, 2011 at 9:30 am

Fitbloggin sounded like such an amazing experience. So jealous.

mrsfatass May 23, 2011 at 10:57 am

Will you come next year?

Katy Widrick May 23, 2011 at 10:18 am

I still can’t believe Fitbloggin’ is over. The real world is way less fun!

Thanks to BOTH of you for sharing your thoughts…I didn’t get to Zumba (I was practicing for my presentation) but reading this makes me feel like I was in the room 🙂

mrsfatass May 23, 2011 at 10:56 am

It really was a great session. Such energy in the room! Fun fun.

colormeroo May 23, 2011 at 11:22 am

Loved Zumba. It was so much fun. Sean, great meeting you. Loved that we had 3 awesome guys step up and shake it with the rest of the girls! 🙂

Sean @ Learn Fitness May 23, 2011 at 2:20 pm

It was nice not being the only guy in the class, unlike *cough Cathe cough*.

Kimberley May 23, 2011 at 11:56 am

Very cool post! Bravo to the men who got up and shook what their mama’s gave them!!!

Jennifer@ knackfornutrition May 23, 2011 at 12:13 pm

You look great doing Zumba!!

I went to Fitbloggin’ with the same mentality as you. I really just wanted to meet the people that have inspired me and supported me on my journey. Learning blogging tips and tricks was really just a bonus.

It was great to meet you!

mrsfatass May 23, 2011 at 1:54 pm

I realize you’re probably talking to sean, but I was happy to meet you!

Sean @ Learn Fitness May 23, 2011 at 2:22 pm

It was great meeting you as well! Meeting the like minded and motivated people is what makes this conference so one of a kind.

Lena B May 23, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Doood, That is so awesome. So happy for you!
Have an awesome week

mrsfatass May 23, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Thanks, Lena!

workout mommy May 23, 2011 at 12:30 pm

great post and i LOVE the picture! I am glad i got to meet you in person and seriously, 198 lbs?!! AMAZING!

and Sue, the next time I hang out with you I will need to bring diapers for myself. 😉

mrsfatass May 23, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Bitches!

Sean @ Learn Fitness May 23, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Thanks! I look kinda walk like an egyptian goofy in it but I thought it was appropriate 😉 It was great meeting you as well.

Megan @mnmspecial May 23, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Thanks for the post. I too have never Zumbaed my way around, but I will give out a try at 33 weeks pregnant in Austin for Fitcation. Wish you were coming too 😉 although I would rather not be on the front row, lol. Sounds like you all had an awesome time!

mrsfatass May 23, 2011 at 1:53 pm

I would SO love to see pregnant Zumba. Somebody better make sure they know the way to the hospital just in case. Zumba CAN get pretty spicy. Lol.

Sean @ Learn Fitness May 23, 2011 at 2:27 pm

I think the front row was ideal, you’re not seeing others messing up and worrying about how you look, you’re just focusing on yourself. Just make sure you don’t trip over the person behind you 😉

Emmie May 23, 2011 at 1:26 pm

You guys ROCKED Zumba. Seriously. And the instructor was incredible – so much of the Zumba experience is how good the instructor is.

mrsfatass May 23, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Hey Emmie! Thank you! And you’re right. I hope I can rock as a teacher someday.

Mom May 23, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Was not there, but I personally know Sean, and he can be a real go getter! If you had told me a year ago that he would be running marathons, doing this fitbloggin, and attending a conference and actually doing ZumBa, (who’d a thunk) I would have laughed at you! But, I have to say, he is game to try anything once, he did! See how much fun it is Sean, and you got to meet what seems like a group of great people!
Very PROUD of you! Keep up the great work!! Hugs & Love!!

mrsfatass May 23, 2011 at 1:51 pm

Oh Em Gee Sean’s Mom! That is the sweetest comment ever.

And I love that you both say “who’d a thunk”

Sean @ Learn Fitness May 23, 2011 at 2:29 pm

I can’t say I ever thought I’d see my mom posting a reply here … now I’m the one turning red. Thanks Mom, I’m breaking out of my shell a bit more getting back to the old me.

Leslie Goldman May 23, 2011 at 1:58 pm

I feel like I am the only person on earth who has not done Zumba! It always looks so fun. Glad I found you here from Twitter!

Kerri O May 23, 2011 at 3:24 pm

Love this, love the comments, love you (Sean and Sue). Sad I missed the session, but I did win Zumba for Kinect. Excited to try it.

Steph @fitmomtraining May 23, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Sounds like you had a great experience! Good on you for stepping out of the comfort zone and shakin’ it like you were selling it 😉 I missed out on Fitbloggin’ but am hoping to go next year and from the sounds of it, I will not regret one booty-shakin’ moment if I do. Great recap!

Renee May 23, 2011 at 7:57 pm

I’m so happy that you enjoyed it and I am so proud of you! Zumba is all about the fun – just like Fitbloggin and this community! I love your post and can’t wait to Zumba again with you next year. I’ll be the one on the stage leading the charge!!!!!!

mrsfatass May 23, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Uh, WE will be the ones on stage leading the charge. Hee!

mrsfatass May 23, 2011 at 8:47 pm

**Editors note: Due to user error, err, technical difficulties, Christy from Shrinking Jeans couldn’t post this comment herself. So I asked her to email and am posting it for her. **

Sean,
I AM so glad that you guilted me into going to Zumba! I mean, I wasn’t going to do it, and then when you said you were, I couldn’t let you show me up, man. We totally shook it like hookers on a street corner 😉

Proud of you and so glad I got to meet you!!!

Comment to Mrs. FatAss:
Get that shit fixed so I can comment on your damn blog 😉

xoxoxoxoo,
C.

Christy Mensi
Founder/Editor
The Sisterhood of the Shrinking Jeans
@shrinkingjeans

kia May 24, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Loved seeing you at Fitbloggin Sean – that was some silly the night down in the hotel bar. Hope to see ya back next year. And it was also a pleasure to meet you MrsFatass… you hawtie.

Robby May 24, 2011 at 5:05 pm

I sure as hell didn’t care. I know I can’t dance.
I had my secret moves ready though. The sprinker. Riding a horsie. Backing my ass up.
I thought Zumba was the perfect ice breaker we all needed to get comfortable and sweaty with each other.

After that class we all knew we could keep each other’s secrets.
(just ask DubyaWife)

Brittany May 26, 2011 at 11:46 pm

Holy shit balls this is amazing. I love you both =) So glad to have meet both of yas! And i love the comment from Sean’s mom– too cute! Can’t wait to shake our money makers together again soon! xoxoxoxoxo