happy exposed-iversary

by MrsFatass on October 12, 2010

A year ago, an inside-out beautiful woman named Mish decided it was time to do something drastic in order to learn to really celebrate her body. So, she snapped a photo of her hotass, scantily clad self, wrote truths all over it, put it on her blog, and BLAM! the Exposed movement was born.

I hope you’re all familiar with it. If you’re not, head on over to the Exposed page of Mish’s blog Eating Journey to learn more about its evolution. This page will also link you to the 60 other bloggers (including moi) who participated in the project over the past year.

I was invited by my now Cyber-BFF Mizfit to do a guest post on her blog, and I surprised myself by saying Hey, I’d like to do an EXPOSED post! I was still finding my footing here, learning to trust my voice, and basically practicing authenticity by erring on the side of, er, exposing. Exposing a LOT. And? Doing it by using a lot of colorful language and provocative vlogs. So, joining the ranks of the exposed bloggers seemed a logical next step in that discovery process.

Over this past weekend when I went back and reread my original exposed post I cringed a little here and there at just how hard I worked at being honest.

I think my heart was in the right place. And the message I was trying to convey would still be the same today. But now, all these months and experiences and posts and conversations later, I think I can say it in a different way. Maybe with fewer outlandish words and a little more heart.

My first reaction to the movement was all Oh, I can do that. I may be anxious and wound up tight most of the time, but I’m not shy. And as sassy as I am, I’m not really one to do a bunch of negative self talk. (Hold your horses, Fatass police. This is NOT an invitation for anyone to fire up their Gmail accounts to lecture me on being called MrsFatass. Seriously.) I just thought exposing myself would be a piece of cake. But when I snapped the photos and tried to put pen to picture, I had a hard time figuring out who that woman was looking back at me.

That exercise taught me that very few of the things I really love about myself are physical. The first traits I would list in a post celebrating me aren’t things you can see in a photo, they are things you catch on to once you know me. I could tell you a few if you like, because I’m not at all ashamed to be proud of them, but the point is, I really had to work hard find the mindset that would allow me to celebrate the physical body that was reflected in those photos.

It was tough to complete. But I did it. And I’m glad I did it. It set some things in motion for me.

Now, on the first anniversary of the Exposed movement, I’d love to stand here before all of you and say Hey! I’ve learned to celebrate my body the same way I celebrate my heart and mind! But really, I’m not sure that’s totally true. I’ve learned an absolute shit-ton about how to take better care of my body. How to fuel it and work it and make it strong. I take it to the gym now. I dressed it in bikinis all summer. I have pampered it. Allowed the pretty to come through. Embraced certain things about it that people have tried to make me feel bad about in the past, but that I kind of liked all along. And? I grew out my hair. I fluff it, and toss it, and twirl a piece around my finger just like a flirtatious 16 year old every chance I get. Feels good. I can’t imagine ever cutting it.

But I couldn’t bring myself to strip down to the undies for an anniversary photo. Just didn’t have it in me. I think, though, that sometimes sharing a quiet, real moment can be even more exposing than an underwear photo. So, here’s me, exposed, a year later.

**Thanks again to Mish for coordinating the original effort as well as the anniversary celebration. I think I can speak for her when I say that anyone out there who is interested in Exposing yourself, give it a go! And let her know so she can add you to the Exposed community.

MizFit October 12, 2010 at 5:34 am

Im still so honored you did that post at my place, Sue.
Ive been thinking about that a lot as I pondered my own EXPOSEDaversary.

and I agree.
so many of my wordsposts are far more raw and revealing than getting nekid in my bathing suit.
And, to that end, so many more bloggers have joined us without realizing they have.

Slimmin' Sam October 12, 2010 at 8:19 am

It is awesome that so many individuals are having their exposedaversary. I think my balls are getting big enough for me to take a shot at losing the clothes and letting it all hang out…and around…and behind. WAHOOOOO to you.

Kerri O October 12, 2010 at 8:28 am

I admire all who do this. I agree that sometimes just being real makes us feel very exposed.

Jenn October 12, 2010 at 11:41 am

Hearts and Hearts and Hearts. And Fitbloggin Pantsers, a go go.

Lance October 12, 2010 at 11:44 am

Keep twirlin’…your hair, you, everything…

You shine at being real – and that is so awesome!!

Tara October 12, 2010 at 12:37 pm

I effin love you!

That is all.

Betsy October 12, 2010 at 12:54 pm

“The first traits I would list in a post celebrating me aren’t things you can see in a photo, they are things you catch on to once you know me.” I need to remember that when I get all obsessive about how I look and lose sight of how feel and who I am (on the inside).

Ninja October 12, 2010 at 1:23 pm

I have seen posts about this all over today and I think I want to do it. Yay for stepping out of a comfort zone, now I gotta convince Jeeves to take a photo of me with out clothes and not think its time to “read”

Pubsgal October 12, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Oh, I thought your original exposed post was pretty darn amazing. And your “Bikini Promise” post? That was also very inspiring for me, in the way the exposed movement intended.

I know what you mean about the things you love about yourself being more than physical; I’ve always felt pretty content with myself, but in some ways my body was relegated to a container that was toting around my heart and mind. Learning to take better care of and to honor my body, too, has brought a lot of balance all around.

Kendra October 12, 2010 at 2:58 pm

I want to do one of these for a Skanky Tuesday post so badly. I don’t know, though, for some reason I have no qualms discussing all the things I do but when it comes to actually showing my body? So much harder.

MsGigglepuss October 12, 2010 at 2:59 pm

I think all of you that exposed yourselves are awesome! I love my insides and can rattle off a lot of heart/mind things that I love…the physical is tougher. I’m working on loving my outside as much as the inside. You certainly inspire me to love it all 🙂

Mary (A Merry Life) October 12, 2010 at 4:19 pm

I love that photo of you pretty lady.

Brittany October 12, 2010 at 4:36 pm

I would love to do an exposed post soon… but definitely not today or anytime soon. I feel i have some work to do personally and physically before i do that!

Katie J October 12, 2010 at 5:52 pm

Sue, I was thinking about doing an EXPOSED post and wanted to know (at your convenience) how I would go about adding words to the picture. Thanks doll!!!

Ryan @NoMoreBacon October 12, 2010 at 7:31 pm

So glad we’re on the same team. It’s an honor to expose with you (get your mind out of the gutter)! Thanks for the honesty! Seriously.

Kirsten (Results Not Typical Girl) October 12, 2010 at 10:33 pm

i’ve already undressed you in my non-lesbian, but wouldn’t like be a hell-of-a-fuck-easier if I were mind. You may be a hot ass, but you’re always a bad ass to me. MWAH!

Laurie October 12, 2010 at 10:51 pm

I love your fluffed grown out hair, I love your heart and soul, I love your balls to wear bikinis!

Quix October 12, 2010 at 11:04 pm

You are gorgeous. Congrats on your exposed-iversary.

Diane Fit to the Finish October 13, 2010 at 12:15 am

Congratulations on the anniversary – you look beautiful.

jen (@jeninRL) October 13, 2010 at 7:10 am

is that sexy bed-head?? and are you making sexy eyes at me?!?!

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) October 13, 2010 at 7:43 am

You have the best perspectives!

P.S. Have we known each other over a year?? Goodness!

Amy Clark October 14, 2010 at 10:37 am

“Allowed the pretty to come through.”

Sweetie, it shines like the sun in you!

merri October 18, 2010 at 7:42 pm

that’s such a pretty picture of you! and the shirt matches your cheeks! 🙂