the first day of the rest of your year

by MrsFatass on July 1, 2010

I wrote a letter to myself at the end of oh-nine, and I figure the first day of the second half of the year is as good a time as any to check in on the goals I set for myself this year. Anyone want to join me in a little reflection? Course you do. So, take a moment to educate, then let’s hop in and see how I’m doing.

To begin, I pretty much still cover up a lot of what’s simmering beneath the surface with snark. That hasn’t changed. But I will say that 2010 has been the year of reinvention. As I try to break out of that yummy, comfy buttdent on my sofa and get on with life, I find that I get the best work done when I am stressed, freaked, nervous, embarrassed. Basically in my Discomfort Zone. I do it at the gym 5-6 days a week, for example. Like, I learned how to use an elliptical (note to the newbies: the machine is not broken. In order to choose your program you have to start moving your feet. Don’t switch machines. Learn from my humiliations) and I Zumba once or twice a week and I jog every other day. And I do most of these things in a place where other people can see me.

That’s huge, the power of the Discomfort Zone.

I also do it in school. I mean, I started Nursing School! The Land of Lab Partners Born The Year I Graduated High School. YIKES! And I do it in my writing. I mean, if all this talk of bodily functions and hoo-hahs isn’t enough, I’m also acting like A Writer. Like, as in writing things other than this blog. I’m doing it in my relationships, sorting out some messy old ones, trying to get right some messy new ones, and basically just trying to stop hiding behind the FIDGET and connecting with people I love. I’m going to come out of this year different than I went in. It’s taken 36 years, but finally I am finding comfort in NOT being exactly like everybody else.

Discomfort? Is good.

Moving on, I am getting better at making myself a priority from time to time. Finding little ways to recharge on a daily basis (#TubTimeWithMrsFatass anyone?) and not just burning myself out and then relying on a quiet weekend or a vacation to give me my zest for life back. I mean, we all know how the last long-weekend getaway started out. If that was my only means for battling stress and recharging, well, I think I’d be posting this from my padded cell in my XXL straightjacket.

I did rock my BIO class. I did not finish writing my book. I am a skosh better at returning phone calls and emails. A skosh. But I was really never bad about telling my folks I love them, or hugging my kids. Those were kind of filler. Don’t hate.

I have made connections with people I care about. You know who you are.

I have let somebody make a connection with the real me, not just the me I pretend to be in order to appear in Women’s Health Australia magazine. Again, you know who you are.

And . . . I have started doing MORE CARDIO. The key to all of this. MORE CARDIO.

I give myself a solid B on the year so far.

The other thing I said to myself in that letter is that I want this to be the last year of having weight to lose. I have 6 months in which to get this part right. Still doable, but not without much focus and effort. I’m thinking I have it in me, though. Do you?

Alrighty then. Your turn. Today is the first day of the rest of your year.

YouKnowWhoYouAre July 1, 2010 at 5:49 am

love this post.
I took a while last night,too, to focus on what I want to have DONE by 2011.

I never do that.

here's hoping I get there…

Trish July 1, 2010 at 7:15 am

I know you have it in you!! You can do this!!

Mishe@EatingJourney July 1, 2010 at 7:25 am

I adore you. I got my MAJOR hospital bill today from when I was in two weeks ago..and I have realised that today..yes today…is the day that I remind myself why I let everyone into my life as a disordered eater..and how investing in me will not only be good for me..but good for everyone i met.

Jules - Big Girl Bombshell July 1, 2010 at 8:04 am

Yep! Today is the first day of the rest of my year…49 is the new 29…..

Kyle Gershman July 1, 2010 at 9:45 am

I'm still in my first year…and I'm still 2 months into preserving my a healthy weight…and had all normal blood results from my recent physical. I'll be 42 in August, but I'm strongly considering celebrating at as my 1st birthday all over again. I know that this is a new life…some resemblance of the old life and some days too much of one. A day at a time.

Lucas July 1, 2010 at 10:43 am

Funny, round these parts, we put a T in our skotsh, but we are just wacky like that. And who do I contact about starting a write in campaign to change that B to an A+????

So my turn? In the latter half of this year, I am fully committed to continue my work on loving myself instead of berating myself. I'm continuing my work on kindness and acceptance towards myself. I am healthy, I am strong, I am fit. I do not need to look like a supermodel. I am a beautifully flawed, aging woman who has a lot of good things going on. I need to hug myself more and beat myself less. That's my goal, sister! Whaddya think? 😉

Salina Lyn July 1, 2010 at 11:53 am

Love love love this post! You rock. So proud of you for all you're doing this year. I need to go dig out my original goals too and see how far I've come or not. Off the top of my head, I'd say I'm closer to a B- or a C+ because of how bad I allowed my attitude to get recently. I'm back now and know what I need to work on, so I guess that's progress.

IThoughtIKnew July 1, 2010 at 3:11 pm

Ooh ooh. I love this post. MrsFatass did such a great job. Ohmydoogness I can't wait to tell her what an excellently phrased turn this was.
*jumps in ready to rave*

…wait a second
if I thought I was in the first,
then I thought I was in the second,
does that leave me out on third?
hmmmmm

amy July 1, 2010 at 3:28 pm

I'm with you! I want this to be the last year of having weight to lose. I'm hoping to be at my goal weight by my 30th birthday next June.

Good luck! 🙂

SeattleRunnerGirl July 1, 2010 at 4:17 pm

You absolutely have it in you, and you don't need us to tell you that. But we're happy to oblige. (Not sure why I'm talking in the plural, but whatev.)

For my second half of 2011 I want to continue the mental and emotional work I've been doing and continue to learn more each day to trust and love my body as it is. I also want to keep losing weight and training for my 10K in September! Finally, I want to plan (as in, buy plane tickets!) our belated honeymoon so we can go by the end of the winter.

Jack Sh*t, Gettin' Fit July 1, 2010 at 7:07 pm

Ouch! Why'd you have to go talking about six months ago. That's when I crossed over into Onederland and was crowing like mad. Six months later I've meandered back 7 or 8 pounds (though I'll say some of that is def muscle weight).

I'm here to tell you that you can accomplish a world of change in six months. Make it happen!

Momma Hunt July 1, 2010 at 7:23 pm

Just a wee reminder from the teacher in me that a C is average so you are way above that so congrats!!

cmoursler July 2, 2010 at 1:45 am

I want to hit goal in the next six months.
doozy right?
and lol at lab partners born the year you graduated.
holy crow.
um, wait…lol I graduated in 92. I think I am in your crowd lololol.
let's be old together.

Anonymous July 2, 2010 at 3:34 am

thanks for your useful info !!
i think you will like it very much . come to have a look , please !!
Fashion watches
Discount watches
Antique pocket watches
Engraved pocket watches

karen July 2, 2010 at 5:29 am

Hey You've done damn good for 6 months. I'm a nurse so a big fat hug for going to nursing school They are so many options out there for nurses today in and out of the hospital setting – you will never be without a job with a nursing degree. Congrats on the rocking BIO. So hang in there , you'll have accomplished all before you know it if you don't taek your eye of the prize.

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) July 2, 2010 at 7:37 am

We are so on the same page this week! I think it's important to jump off the treadmill of life from time to time and check in with yourself and your goals.

It sounds like you have a great shot at a solid "A".

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) July 2, 2010 at 7:37 am

It sounds like you have a great shot at a solid "A".

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) July 2, 2010 at 7:37 am

It sounds like you have a great shot at a solid "A".

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) July 2, 2010 at 7:37 am

It sounds like you have a great shot at a solid "A".

Mo 'Betta July 2, 2010 at 9:01 am

I'm new to the "blogging world" and just discovered yours and just wanted to say I LOVE it! Why? B/c half the things you write have been my own thoughts and/or experiences. I look forward to following you and hoping to get inspired on my own journey from notasfatasIusedtobe but notyetfabulous.

stefanie July 2, 2010 at 7:05 pm

I want to, as one of my fave writers once said, start treating myself the way I would treat my favorite elderly aunt. Sweetness, encouragement, gentleness: ok. Verbal abuse and pointing and laughing at body parts: not ok.

ntexas99 July 5, 2010 at 2:33 am

I meandered into your space by way of Big Auntie's blog, and love the way you write. I'm just beginning to throw myself into the "do it out there where everyone can see it" blogging about weight loss experience, and hope that we'll bump into one another again soon. As time permits, I'm sure I'll be back to read through some of your archives. Words are definitely your playthings!

Anonymous July 18, 2010 at 3:20 am

I love your description of going back to school as an "older" student (I went back at 35): The land of lab partners born the year I graduated high school. 🙂