peeping tom

by MrsFatass on April 14, 2010

No so recombobulated yet. AND I just realized I have a test to study for on a chapter whose accompanying lecture sounds a bit like Charlie Brown’s teacher. Why am I doing this again?

Boot Camp week 2 is going well. I finished up Week Four of Couch to 5K, but am going to repeat it, because I still really struggle with that last 5 minute interval. I still have to break it up. I also stepped out of my comfort zone and went to a kettleball class. While I made it through with my hoohah intact, it was a lot harder than I thought. Which is kind of what all of this is, so I don’t know why that surprises me. But I guess I’m getting comfortable out there in my Discomfort Zone. (I also just told another blogger – a workout BADASS – that today I’m getting on an elliptical for the first time. Yowza. This frightens me for many reasons, like my basic fear of looking silly when trying something new. My favorite treadmill is on the back row wayyyy in the corner, but the row of ellipticals is in front of the row of treadmills, so there will be people lined up behind me. Probably snickering and whispering and generally shooting each other looks. Nowhere to hide on the elliptical.)

I’ve got some emails and Facebook messages piling up. I’ve got some posts half-written. But you know what I really need to do with my writing time today? Get out and visit all of you. I read blogs every day, but I haven’t been a great commenter lately, even though I just said to somebody “If you want to cultivate your following, you first need to make sure you’re a good follower. Get out in the neighborhood and make some friends! Be a good commenter!”

Umm, yeah.

So, I am taking the day off of posting something new so I can get out and about and pop in on all of you. And if you have a blog that you’d like added to my roll, leave a comment. I’d love to check you out!

CJ April 14, 2010 at 7:01 am

Getting out of comfort zone! Hmmm. Isn't it the hardest? I should try more of that. Good luck with the classes and ellipticals.

skinnysushi.com April 14, 2010 at 7:26 am

You are still my fitness hero. And I'd totally love to be on your blogroll… πŸ™‚

Trina April 14, 2010 at 7:41 am

I love your post!! It's funny as im relatively new to blogging and it's the same as doing a new exercise, scary to get out there.

It made me laugh when you talked about the elliptical! I mean WHY on earth in every gym in america are they in the FRONT row!! What is that about!! Just thinking of MY butt wiggling, jiggling and wobbling and probably scaring the heck out the people behind me never occured to me until now!! TY so much for the great laugh i got at myself this morning.

All too infrequently do we have that ability.

ever yours and still giggling..

Trina~

b.t.w. it's really not bad at all and kind of fun.

K. April 14, 2010 at 7:42 am

Alright well I hope tou stop by my blog too-www.it-is-time.com…
As far as Ellipticals go, they are a great alternative to the tready, give you very effective workouts without your legs having to bear all your weight. Your thighs and buttocks might burn like hell, but I am sure you'll end up loving it! I couldn't do more than 3 mins on it before, then I became the queen of spinning and elliptical, lol.Spending like an hour and a half on them… That was before I gained all the weight back and then some after the sudden passing of my mum. Anyway don't mind anyone, I don't think people really care about others at the gym, they want to just get in their zones and keep going. Let us know how it goes.
K.

Bella (Stilettos on the Streetcar) April 14, 2010 at 8:06 am

I've been doing the opposite of you! I haven't been writing posts, but I have been reading/commenting like crazy. My goal for today is to actually write a post… and yet here I am commenting. πŸ™‚

Slimmin' Sam April 14, 2010 at 8:56 am

You are simply amazing and you know it. I have been stalking you for months now… lol and you didn't even know. Well, you probably did.

MaryFran April 14, 2010 at 9:26 am

Good luck with the elliptical….and NO, people are NOT staring at you and snickering behind your back….they are too worried about the wedgie that has creeped up into the crack and they are worried about how to extract it without digging! They are also worried that they are jiggling so much that they will impale the person next to them with a jiggling body part. You see, they are too worried about their own problems to be concerned about you!!!!

JourneyBeyondSurvival April 14, 2010 at 10:17 am

MrsFatass,

My best advice is to eat refried beans before you go. People tend to stay away from the machines directly behind those that are strategically placed in front of the fans.

If you catch my drift.

Don't go crazy out there. Stick to the Shedule. Yes? I love you. Take good care. I will too.

Eat those beans moderately now.

Lynda with a Y April 14, 2010 at 10:26 am

Really look forward to your blogs. I do the elliptical at the gym because it's the most calorie burn for your time. Go in, sweat, go home.

Blogroll, please?
Taking Less Space

Ryan Sullivan April 14, 2010 at 10:32 am

If you've already been rocking the treadmill the elliptical runner will be cake for you. Not like chocolate cake, just easy I mean. Stop. Stop thinking about cake! Sorry I brought it up!

Also, wearing a bike helmet with rear view mirrors will at least let you bust the people who may be looking up at you. Then you can cut a fool if you need to.

Morgan April 14, 2010 at 10:52 am

Well, at least laughing at you while you are on the elliptical will help them burn more calories – look at you, always helping people!

I would love to be on your blogroll, especially since you are the one who answered my questions about how to join the community here. Do you know you are a rock star?

Morgan

Angelia April 14, 2010 at 10:55 am

I dunno what kettleball is but it sounds like fun!

WTF April 14, 2010 at 11:48 am

Where I work out there are usually several division 1 college athletes, so I usually feel real foolish, especially lifting weights. But I've come to realize that they don't look down at me because I'm there trying!

Jams April 14, 2010 at 11:51 am

Have fun commenting! I love reading blogs and yours cracks me up. I'm so happy I ran across it. I'm struggling right now, but it's good to see people doing well.

Lisa April 14, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Ellipticals always make my toes tingly. Weird, huh?

I love kettle bells! Someone gave me a Kettlebell that came with a DVD – you have inspired me to blow the dust off the thing and give it a whirl!

love2eatinpa April 14, 2010 at 1:04 pm

i very often pull up the charlie-brown-teacher voice in conversation, so i could totally imagine this teacher of yours!

i think it's aweseome that you are stepping out of your comfort zone to try new and different workouts. you never know, until you try it, which ones are going to be the ones that you really enjoy.

p.s. no one is really going to be looking at you when you are on the elliptical, everyone has their own issues on their minds. seriously!

cmoursler April 14, 2010 at 1:33 pm

the elliptical is really fun…I use the precor. Unless you faceplant the whole elliptical things is pretty much like the treadmill thing, only rounder lol.
Have fun, it's great for your thighs. That is why i started doing it (besides the awesome calorie burn…which is a true benefit.) Good luck.

Laurie April 14, 2010 at 1:54 pm

funny, our ellipticals are in the back w/ treadmill in the front, I always think they are watching my fat ass jiggle when I run. Talking about hoohas, I've just begun spinning, I've done 4 classes in a week and half, let's just send a shout out to the PADDED shorts!
Have a look if you like at another new blog:
Feeling Good Inside and Out
so new I don't even know how to present it πŸ™‚

Brooke April 14, 2010 at 2:30 pm

I really enjoy your blogs! Sadly I can't comment as much as I like via my BlackBerry. But do know that I read each post!

You rock Mrs. Fatass! <3

-Brooke Ann

Holistic Health Coach-Tri Mom April 14, 2010 at 2:32 pm

i can vouch for the bean eating effect, JBS…people see me now at the gym and they start to back away before I even pick a machine. And watch out if you are behind me in yoga ;)..

Would love to be read by my hero and her community…
imaskinnymini.blogspot.com

Im using a nontraditional way to lose weight, but its working for me!

Kelly

Miranda April 14, 2010 at 2:59 pm

I can honestly tell you the elliptical (and trying to pick up playing tennis) was what kicked my ass into shape the last time. It was so simple for me. It went a little something like this:

Day 1 – I could hardly breathe after 5 minutes.

By the end of Week 1 I was rocking that beotch for 15 minutes already without seeing my unborn children and the rest of my life flash before my eyes.

It was great b/c I knew I was making progress by simply doing the same thing longer.

Alison April 14, 2010 at 3:01 pm

Sounds like you are really pushing yourself out of that comfort zone, the number of new things you have tried in 2 weeks is pretty impressive, do you have any favourites yet that you see yourself working in long term?

I'd love for you to check out my blog http://waistingduxie.com when you have some time, I know you have tons to check out πŸ™‚ and an eliptical calling your name!

Losing It- for real April 14, 2010 at 3:23 pm

You're such a badass, ellipticalling and kettleballing. Way to go. As long as you dont fall of the elliptical – its all good!

ktc April 14, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Another "lurker" here!!!

I came across your blog, afew weeks back! And O M G! I am beyond addicted! LoL…. I have the longest list of blogs that I follow..and I check them daily for updates…more than I check my facebook! LOL

I have started using the elliptical and OMG it was brutal! But I loved it…just yesterday I completed 65 minutes, and for the FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE..I was literally dripping in sweat! sick hey? but it felt GOOOOOD! lol

Anyway. I too, would love to have one my blog "gods" read my wee little blog! lol.. http://kwmanybears.blogspot.com

And that goes to anyone…feel free to read my blog and follow! I have 3 followers…pitiful hey? but still cute! lol

Good day y'all!

Rob Dyess April 14, 2010 at 3:38 pm

I used to work out with guys in my class that were SEC football players… knowing they were laughing their collective asses off at me…. oh well, didn't stop me.

You know, my wife still thinks I'm cool.

Thanks!!

BTW- oooooooooo… put me on your blog roll.

Thanks again!

WeighDownSouth.com

ARJules April 14, 2010 at 6:18 pm

Just make sure there isn't some dirty, perverted old man behind you, drooling over your derriere. πŸ™‚ Have fun on the elliptical! And remember, if it is adjustable strides, the shorter strides work your quads, medium stride works everything, and longer strides works your butt-ocks (in Forrest Gump voice).

Hope you have fun today!
And you are already on my list but just in case other people want to read: climbingoutofthelardpit.blogspot.com

Curvy Girl April 14, 2010 at 7:09 pm

I love the elliptical–such a great full body workout. I can also completely relate about getting on a machine that is out in front of others–I really struggle with that. I like to sort of be off to the side, in the back where no one is going to be looking at my behind while I am working out. I am pretty new to this blogging thing, but would love you to visit!

dani31608 April 14, 2010 at 9:32 pm

Oh! Kettlebells! We must be on the same cosmic wavelength because I'm starting a kettlebell camp on the 19th. I'm afraid of them, honestly! Pretty sure my butt is gonna get kicked hardcore.

Keep doing your thang. You're doing GREAT!

TC April 14, 2010 at 11:00 pm

Loving your blog missy! I am on wk 2 day 2 and I am afeared of the 5 min. run! Ahhhh! I never thought of repeating weeks until feeling stronger…hmmm. I may check in with my heavily gasping hubby and see if he would consider it if wk 3 is too rough!

Miz April 15, 2010 at 5:20 am

*whispers* today I am reading one blog only.
yours.
we are so alike and so different πŸ™‚ me? I still feel hidden behind the bisassarmthing of the elliptical.
Its the TREADMILL which lays me bare.

Joanna Sutter April 15, 2010 at 6:37 am

I have been a bad blogger commenter lately, too. I LOVE to read blogs as it makes me feel connected to "my people". Must. Do. A. Better. Job.

Rock this day, sista!

Kelly April 15, 2010 at 10:59 am

Check me out! Mostly cause you crack me up and I would love it if you stopped by occasionally.

The elliptical takes a little getting used to, but trust me, no one is watching you. Actually, they might be watching you a little, but it doesn't really matter, I swear. I do HIIT on the elliptical and kind of feel like an idiot, but when I'm purple-faced and dripping sweat, I feel strong and impervious to other people's judgments.

Quix April 15, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Ellipicals are harmless! You'll love 'em – it's easy to push yourself as hard as running, just without the pounding!

Congrats on week 4 of C25k – keep it up! πŸ™‚

Donna April 15, 2010 at 4:20 pm

Hey, how did the elliptical go? I love it – been off it for a long time but looking forward to getting off my treadmill and back on the elliptical soon. It took me a few tries to figure out the rhythm, but it is so much kinder to my knees and crap ankle than the treadmill. Keep goin', Hotass, you're makin' it all happen.

Shrinkabootie April 15, 2010 at 10:24 pm

The first time I got on an elliptical I thought I was going to fly off that thing!! It was years before I got back on and this time I actually set the incline and resistance so that it wasn't going to freakin fast. This is key. It soon became my fav. I haven't been back on it since I've started working out again, but we have a date to reacquaint in a couple weeks. It really is a great workout!

I'd love to be on your bloggity roll!

Aimee April 16, 2010 at 7:56 pm

You're doing great on the elliptical! I remember the first time I got on one, I lasted 5 minutes before I wanted to pass out.

Nice job with the C25K!! I just ran my first mile a few days ago, it feels so great to accomplish this stuff.

To be on your blogroll would be an honor. πŸ™‚ I'm still fairly new at this stuff but I'm having fun with it.

Merri April 16, 2010 at 8:12 pm

The eliptical is sooo much easier than the treadmill. You wont fall off, and your knees will feel better. We even have new special cool bouncy ones that are like being on space boots. Well not really but kinda. Its super fun. I have to admit, people probably DO watch ur butt when youre doing the eliptical. I know, cuz I catch myself staring at others butts while im on it. We have rows and rows of them at my gym. Or watching the stair machine girls. But don’t worry. Butts on elipticals and stair machines look really hot. Hmm I suppose I am one of those dirty old men (in the body of a woman) whos lusting after women at the gym. Lol I cant help it..exercising gets libidos up!
Aw just when youre taking time to go read ppls blogs, I havent written any. My parents visitng, followed by me going to a big party in palm springs, added to me trying to catch up at work, has left me with zero new real blogs. Oh well. Hopefully you'll be in a visiting mood again next wk when I hope to have some blogs, complete with photos, showing some of the fun stuff ive been doing lately.

The Stainbrooks April 19, 2010 at 2:17 am

I've been reading your blog for a few weeks now, and thoroughly enjoy your sarcastic, down to earth, tell it like it is ways… cracks me up every time!!!

AmandaLP April 26, 2010 at 2:11 am

I just added your blog to my RSS reader πŸ™‚ Right now, I am too afraid of working out in front of other people, so I am doing the Wii stuff. That might change when school ends (soon!!!) πŸ™‚

FatGirlShrinking.com is my blog.