asking for a little new year’s favor . . .

by MrsFatass on January 4, 2010

Happy New Year! Welcome back. Hope everybody got at least a second to exhale, relax, and love the ones they were with. Life in the Fatass household has been focused on The Ick since Christmas. Our particular brand of Ick was crazy intense and very slow moving, and even when the major ICKiness had passed we were still left with a couple of days of weakness, clamminess, and a general aversion to food.

Which is kind of funny. Mrs. Tim told me yesterday that it looked like I lost weight, but really? So. Not. Worth. It. I would rather do CARDIO. So you know it must have been awful if I’m saying that.

Anywho, I have a lot of catching up to do now that we’re all healthy and now that Trophy Husband is back at work and Thing One is off at school, and by catching up I don’t mean laying around in bed wearing my flannels. Nope. There are GAG details to be finished up, a week’s meals to be planned, calories to be counted, workouts to be done. And I’m looking for the perfect Blackberry app to journal my food and workouts (suggestions?) because you know why?

Mama wants her groove back.

Indeed. See, even though, together, we have handled some really big topics – sex, binging, division of labor, emotional gobbledygook – and all of them are important and affect weight loss, um, I really haven’t lost much weight this year.

Truth is, all my chitter chatter this year has really only resulted in the loss of ONE PANTS SIZE. Which I suppose is nothing to sneeze at, except that at this rate I won’t be at a healthy weight until I’m 40. And I have a sneaking suspicion that if I don’t light a fire under it, you all are going to find some other snarky fatass to read every day who actually does what she says she will do.

I hate feeling like a fraud. So, unless I am actually losing weight and getting healthier, umm, this isn’t really a journey to anywhere, n’est pas?

Okay. Well. Something was brought to my attention over the break – maybe you all already know about it? – a site called Mamavation. It is a community of mamas helping mamas make lasting health and fitness changes in their lives. I generally avoid sites like these like the plague that overtook our house last week. I’m just not really a joiner, I prefer to go it alone. And hanging out with a group of women? SHUDDER. Not usually my thang.

But something has happened to me over these last months I’ve been writing here at DidIJustEatThatOutLoud. I’ve made friends. And I’ve begun building my own little community of people helping people. Those of us who hang out here together are men and women, young and old, fat and fit, motivated and stuck – and as it turns out, we’ve helped each other out. Comments, emails, tweets, and posts both here and on all of YOUR blogs, it seems that now we are friends. And you have all taught me a valuable lesson – it’s better if I leave my flannel-filled hermit cave and actually connect to people.

Perhaps I’m a joiner after all.

Anywho, here’s the scoop. I am not only getting active with the hotasses over at Mamavation, I am stepping wayyyyy out of my comfort zone to ask you all to help me achieve something. They are launching a campaign to find 2 mamas that they will put through a SEVEN WEEK HEALTH AND FITNESS BOOT CAMP. Yep. These two lucky chicas will get to work with some expert sponsors, receive some fantastical tools, and be provided all kinds of crazy support and motivation to not only whip their own bodies into shape, but to learn how to teach and inspire their families and friends to do the same.

And since you all are my family and friends, this is for all of us.

Step One is to complete a Video Application.

Step Two is asking all of you with a Twitter account to tweet the following (early and often between now and January 12): Hey @bookieboo! I want @MrsFatass to be the next #Mamavation Mom. She has my support!

It’s that easy. A little copy, a little paste.

Step Three is asking all of you who don’t have a Twitter account to GET ONE, if only to tweet the following (early and often between now and January 12): Hey @bookieboo! I want @MrsFatass to be the next #Mamavation Mom. She has my support!

Go on, embrace the Twitter. For me, your favorite fatass.

(Step Four and Five come later if I am indeed selected to be one of the Final Five, and they involve me hounding – er, ASKING you to vote for me again. And asking all of your friends, family, and distant acquaintances to do the same.)

By the way, I could totally use a Campaign Manager. I am not so good at the self promotion. Interested?

Here’s my video application. I am supposed to answer this question: Why do you want to be a Mamavation Mom, and what will you do to inspire other moms online?

So, friends. I am asking you ALL – and if you’re thinking who, me?, the answer is YES, even YOU – to please embrace the Twitter and tweet your support for me.

And if you need someone to wash your car or pick up your dry cleaning, just give me a shout.

TLEstrogen January 4, 2010 at 2:16 pm

Done! Go chickie go!Don't wait until you're 42 like me to get where you want to be!

Fat Chick January 4, 2010 at 2:22 pm

I tweeted for you.

Now to the all-important blackberry app recommendation. I've used two that I recommend. The first is The Daily Plate by Livestrong. They have an online website and the app that sync. It's not free but I loved it — they don't have a storm compatible app so I can't use it anymore so I had to find a new one.

So, the one I just started using is free — Calorie Counter by FatSecret. They also have an online website (I like this because it is easier to do it online when I'm at my desk). You can find it in the Blackberry App World. 🙂 Both allow you to track your exercise.

Now, if you're a walker (or runner) I recommend BiM Active (Bones in Motion). It has a GPS function and tracks your speed, distance, etc. (I think calorie burn but I can't remember) from your BlackBerry. I LOVE this. Also free.

In fact — I guest blog on a geek site and this is what my post is going to be about this month — healthy bb apps. 🙂

Joanna Sutter January 4, 2010 at 2:47 pm

YOU HAVE MY SUPPORT! I love you, sweetgirl.

(extended unemployment? that's me)

The_Exquisite_Christine January 4, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Have tweeted for you and will make an effort to remember to do so daily! ♥

TJ January 4, 2010 at 5:05 pm

You can do it! 🙂 xoxo You have my vote!

TJ January 4, 2010 at 5:09 pm

oh and PS…you cried again…I think your in the lead! lol 🙂 xoxo

Christy in Seattle January 4, 2010 at 5:16 pm

The Ick in our household is still in full effect.

We both had a spike of fever, and then uber-low temperatures … like 96 degrees and stuff. SO weird and it makes me FEEL so weird.

This post made me cry. I hope you win, you richly deserve it!

Love,
Christy

Anonymous January 4, 2010 at 5:59 pm

not being snarky, but I think if you would put 1/2 the effort into weight-loss and exercise as you do in blogging and tweeting you'd already be at your goal.

7 weeks at a spa won't solve the problem

Family Fitness Files January 4, 2010 at 6:32 pm

Wishing you all the best. You're brave to do this in the pubic eye. I know you will succeed.

Jack Sh*t, Gettin' Fit January 4, 2010 at 6:47 pm

Don't go acting like 40 is old!

Lucrecia January 4, 2010 at 7:04 pm

I tweeted for you! Congrats on applying, thats a huge step! I just ran across that site last week, but being a lame arse I ran fast the other way. Well, of course run wouldn't really be the right word. That would be a bit more effort than I actually put in 🙂

TJ January 4, 2010 at 7:23 pm

Boo to Anonymous- humm can't show your true identity? Shame, damn shame!

Miz January 4, 2010 at 7:41 pm

do I need to git my fighting shoes on?

🙂

we have yer back. and yer front.
all sides.
oh and we cover your mad filming and editing skillz as well.
if by WE you mean ME…which I do.

The_Exquisite_Christine January 4, 2010 at 8:06 pm

Wow, I am totally going to track "Snarky" down and punch them in the face. ::shocked look:: Jealous, that's all there is to it, jealous hypocrits, lol!

seattlerunnergirl January 4, 2010 at 8:09 pm

Oooh, your first anonymous, lame-o comment – now you know you have arrived! LOL

I tweeted and I can't wait to hear that you've won!

P.S. I would read you even if you didn't lose weight. Just sayin'.

MMM January 4, 2010 at 8:51 pm

Girl, I am so not a tweeter! But for you…my bloggerhood sister, I will get an account and tweet. That is a BIG step! I support you, and I know you can do this!!!
GO BABY GO!
(Your jeans are cheering too! LOL)
MMM

MacMadchen January 4, 2010 at 11:09 pm

Just set up a twitter just to tweet for you!! This vlog/blog were so touching I couldn't do anything but everything in MY power to help you meet your goal!

The Insatiable Host January 5, 2010 at 12:25 am

gshhh…insatiablehost here…over gshhh!

gshhh..mission accomplished…over

gshhh…tweeted or twitted or something already but have a cocktail in hand while doing it..over

Great post and you can do it Bobby Bouche!

The Sweet Tooth Obliteration Operation January 5, 2010 at 12:39 am

I loved the honesty in your video. You will be an amazing mamavation mom!!

Fat gal going......... January 5, 2010 at 3:22 am

I tweeted for you! Thanks so much for the inspiration and the chuckles..you RAWK! 😉

cmoursler January 5, 2010 at 3:25 am

twitter really?
okay, I'll do it for you. Once the d*mn contest is over I am totally deleting the twitter thing.

and now for an ode to anonymous;

ahem…(clearing throat)
we hear
more words
emanating
from the space
between your ears.

Sue,
Good luck with the challenge.
I will tweet the twits tomorrow.

lowfatpie January 5, 2010 at 6:31 am

What Ahole-ymous doesn't understand that blogging – WRITING – what is going on with you, tweeting, staying connected with those who support you and whom you support, is part of the whole weight loss thing. You know, WE ALL KNOW, that weight loss is a simple concept, but WE are not simple creatures. If we were, and it was so easy, would we even need to reach out and write and talk to others and work stuff out in our heads so that emotionally we are losing weight too? I think not.

So. You've got my vote. And you've got my respect girl, for your courage and being so open!!

Renee @pinkypie

Annalisa201 January 5, 2010 at 7:13 am

(sorry for delete – needed to edit)

OF COURSE, I'll get a twitter for you – and just for you – I'm with Chris, "delete" once it's over LOL

Wanted to say: I hate feeling like a phony too – I stopped losing weight in June, and although I've lost 1 pants size this year, I don't feel like I've done enough, I know I didn't do my best. But ya know what – I lost 1 pants size last year too, so I know it is possible – I just have to quit eating so damn much – and blogging of course – the support is incredible, isn't it?!

Good luck with Mamavation! You've got my vote. Love ya! Here's to a fantastic new start in 2010!!! Cheers!

Lisa Mom of 2 Boys January 5, 2010 at 11:49 am

Thanks for sharing and good luck on your journey – you are gonna rock it!

BEE January 5, 2010 at 1:15 pm

i just started reading your blog today and all i have to say in inspiring
i love the mamavation application
if they dont accept you they are crazy

jacquio1218 January 5, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Hey girl! Found your blog today through Facebook, funny how kindred spirits just pop into your life just when you need them! Your video app for Mamavation really hit home with me! I wish you luck and will be following you now! I even set up a Google account, don't ask how long it took for me to find a postable pic! As a fellow fatass, I try to stay firmly behind the camera, so there wasn't much to choose from that was from the past decade! Anyways, I'm rooting for you!

MOMMY-MOMO January 5, 2010 at 1:29 pm

oh honey!!! I love love loved this application video! i love your honesty and sincerity. You've come to the perfect place! The mamavation family is made up w amazing women ready to support and encourage you through this process. I'm so eager and excited as the head cheerleader to cheer you on and motivate and be there for you the best I can! I sooo support you! Nice meeting you 🙂

MMM January 5, 2010 at 5:42 pm

Ok…I know you weren't trying to be "snarky" but you were! So…. maybe just don't say it.

cmoursler January 6, 2010 at 3:01 am

okay,
I tweeted….I guess that makes me an official twit.
I became a twit for you Mrs. fatass.

sal January 6, 2010 at 7:18 am

I just ran across your blog over the holidays. I feel as if I've found a new friend.
You have my votes!
Sal

SuburbHouseWife January 6, 2010 at 12:18 pm

Hey! Welcome to mamavation. I think it's great that you're doing this. Keep it up!

Anonymous January 6, 2010 at 2:11 pm

sometimes the truth hurts I guess. I guess if their looking for bloggers who b*tch, moan and make excuses your the gal for the job.

Tina January 6, 2010 at 10:06 pm

just watched your video…it was awesome, i support you 100%
i am "sista in the hood" on Mamavation and we will all do this together..
my goal is to lose 40lbs by my 40th birthday , and loving being able to do with all the awesome moms !!

ARJules January 7, 2010 at 5:04 am

I SO tweeted for you! And let me just say, I thought your video was great. It also made me feel like I wasn't alone in this whole thing so thanks for that! Go get 'em!!

Frannie January 7, 2010 at 7:18 pm

Because I heart you, I opened a Twitter account (FitFrannie) and tweeted on your behalf. 🙂

kia January 7, 2010 at 7:38 pm

I am new to the MrsFatAss fan club. I have since seen some of you on MsFit and around. I gotta say I am a little surprised to see your shy personality in your Mamavation video. Yes you are honest and goofy with how you put yourself out there but you obviously have not your humility. You are an admirable woman. I wish you the best!

sian-girlgletstrong January 8, 2010 at 11:26 am

I tweeted for you! I love your video and I also love the design on your site!